The Lenten season is a time to focus on strengthening our relationship with God and others. Below are a number of simple things that we all could do to notice those around us who God created in God's image and to help them to see blessing in their lives. Hopefully, such practices begin to shape our behavior beyond the Lenten season as we are blessed to be a blessing to others.
- Let someone get in line in front of you, whether in traffic or in a store
- Buy a coffee or soda for the person in line behind you
- Smile at five people you don't know
- Send a family member or friend a note thanking them for the ways they have been a blessing to you
- When you pray for others, let them know you are praying for them
- Take a neighbor, fellow church member, or co-worker out to lunch for the first time
- Tip more generously and treat the person who is serving you with an extra dose of kindness
- Listen more and talk less
- Worship regularly and introduce yourself to people you do not know
I felt the Spirit moving in a powerful way at Ash Wednesday Worship and look forward to seeing many of you this weekend. Sunday worshipers: Remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour (Spring forward) before you go to bed on Saturday night or you might find yourself arriving at church quite late! (Please offer a cup of coffee to the poor folks who do arrive late on Sunday!)
"Return to the Lord, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."